Saturday, July 07, 2007

Computer...warning some geektalk might be boring

I got my computer back today. My good friend's brother is a computer techy. He enjoys computers and has recovered computers before.....wait i should start from the beginning.

At christmas time, i asked my cuz to wip (reformat) my computer. It's 4 years old and had stuff on it that needed to be removed. He tried to backup my computer to his and it took forever. He then found out my computer does not have much life left in it. Therefore, he suggested to not reformat and save up for new computer. I purchased a 10K external hard drive in the spring time to save all my important files and programs. I have been updating it regularly since i got it. 4 weeks ago i purchased a simple computer game and installed it. The computer then screamed at me saying you are out of space. Do you want to do a diskclean. Ok why not. Well after about 45 minutes and no progress happening i canceled the diskclean. Then the pc decided to reboot itself. When it tryed to restart i was told you are missing a system32/hal file. Well i know that this is a major windows file and the pc doesn't work without it. instead of calling the cuz and waiting for him to fix it i decided in the brainyack moment to put the windows disk in the cd-rom. Well i started the reformating process. THe cuz looked at it and he couldn't recover it and didn't have the time to reinstal the windows. Hence where my friend's brother comes in.
He had the computer for a week and i have it back now. I'm in the beginning phases of reinstalling programs. I'm glad i have it wiped but upset that i lost a good friend's pictures of her stagette and i lost 4 months of accoutinng books for the ball league. I didn't have those backed up to the external harddrive. Now to save and install only the things i want. He gave me a 40K harddrive as my harddrive was pooched and installed more ram but suggests i install more ram. Also suggested getting another harddrive to have as a slave.(backup in case the original hd fails i don't lose everything) Also bought and installed a new fan. It is so quiet now, it's awesome.

(I promise that i will update once a week but this week might include more...have too much to say)

2 comments:

FitGirl said...

Ali, I haven't been to your blog in a while, I did a reformat of my blog template, and that erased all my links to other blogs, that I had posted!! :(

But I have started using my favorites to get to blogs, so I am here!

Glad you got your computer back... Backing up files is very important!!! Now you know that too :)

Anonymous said...

Computers are a pain in the old buttocks... when they want to be. We have a place here in town that will retrieve files off your hard drive- they claim as long as it's still spinning they can get your files. Of course, it costs 75 bucks an hour...
I back up all my stuff on to DVD's now (a DVD can hold 4GIGs of info). If I lost my photos, I'd puke.
Gotta love a fresh running computer though, have fun with that!!